Stock Photos of Western Ranch Cowboys

Stock Photos of Western Ranch Cowboys
www.saddlescenes.com - click photo for website

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Cowboy!


I did it! I just put Ray's favorite Chocolate Chip Date Cake in the oven. Left-handed, and even got the mess cleaned up. Well, actually it's my favorite. He likes his mom's—which is excellent, but I prefer my sister's recipe because half the choc chips and some sugar are sprinkled on top and make a nice crunchy sweet topping. Sorry Dear, but I'm the cook, and I don't plan on letting you eat the whole thing by yourself.

I am so glad his mom and dad didn't stop at three. I really don't know where I'd be without him. He is definitely the better half, and we are attached at the very roots.

In 1980 I was beginning to despair of ever finding Mr. Right. I wanted to have my kids before I was 30, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd even be married by then. Finally, after looking in all the wrong places, I went to the one I should have started with. I told my Heavenly Father that I knew He made everybody, and that He must've made someone for me-- please, just show me where he is. Then I had the audacity to lay out my list of requirements.

Sure enough, two months later I transferred with my job to a different part of the state. I had been there only 3 or 4 weeks— just long enough to hear all about the cowboys at a certain ranch-- and it wasn't good. I'd even met one who was the epitome of “rude, crude, with an attitude”, who totally confirmed what I'd heard.

The first time I met Ray we hit it off. We were talking away like old friends, when he happened to tell me where he worked. The warning bells went off-- it was that ranch! I refused to tell him my last name. Only that I was Sue.

He's never been a quitter. He had a friend who knew a friend of mine. He called me. I turned him down. I had something in the works already. Next week, he called again. It was opening day of hunting, and I already had plans. Next week, he called again. I agreed to go out to dinner with him.

Two weeks later he asked me to marry him. I said, YES!

That was over 30 years ago. We didn't tell anyone except his boss for a couple months because we didn't want people thinking we were jumping into anything. We got married four months later.

I appreciate the fact that Ray never considered himself “God's gift to women”. But my dear husband, I want you to know that you are, without a doubt, God's gift to me. Right down to the very last detail on my little list, and so much more. I wish you the happiest of birthdays. And thank you for never giving up on me.

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Unto him be glory... Eph 3:20-21

1 comment:

Linda Knapp said...

You two were made for each other. Happy Birthday Ray.