Stock Photos of Western Ranch Cowboys

Stock Photos of Western Ranch Cowboys
www.saddlescenes.com - click photo for website

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cowboy Heart


"Cowboy Conference" Two graduated "wannabe's", and Colt, during fall gather.
It's been said that “a person wrapped up in himself makes a pretty small package”.

Until I married Ray, I never gave much thought to the differences between cowboys aside from the main categories: real working cowboy, rodeo cowboy, and wannabe-a-cowboy. I of course, had my sights set on the first category since I always figured that was the only “real” cowboy.

A guy I worked with up north finally told me that all I was going to find up there were loggers, and that if I wanted a cowboy, I needed to move down here, since this was ranch country, and this was where the “real” cowboys were.

I'd never been to this part of the state, and even up there we made fun of Butte-- next best sport to telling North Dakota jokes! I listened to him though, and I'm so glad. I still run into him once in awhile since he retired in Butte. He's one of my favorite friends from my past, and he is tickled to death that his advice was so successful.

He's the kind whose happiness comes from having a hand in the happiness of others. He is an unusual single person in that his world doesn't revolve around himself. If he weren't an Irish construction engineer, I could probably call him a “real cowboy”. I think if I went deeper into my cowboy distinctions, they would have a general breakdown encompassing most situations: (Bear in mind, I'm coming from a skewed perspective since I happen to be married to the world's best “real cowboy”.)

Real Working Cowboy > has a passion for quality of life, even if it means living at the so-called “poverty” level, and going without some things. That passion comes from caring about basic life, loving to work hard outdoors, and the ability to spend quality time with family. He cares about the welfare of the things under his stewardship, and the welfare of others. He gives very little thought to what others think as long as he's confident he's doing the right thing to the best of his ability. He's very likely to have faith in Jesus Christ, and to glorify Him as the Creator--or at the very least, he lives a life in line with God's laws.

Rodeo Cowboy > also has a passion for life, with a narrower focus. He revels in improving his personal skills to the point where his performance is consistently sharp. Quality of life is not nearly as important, since his passion stems from always looking ahead to his goals. He has a faithful, loyal circle of friends within that focus. Often, his main job is simply a means of subsidizing his personal quest for excellence. He's often on the road, and his main focus is the thrill of the next contest, and making it to the top. Some have a relationship with Jesus Christ, but are more likely to manage that relationship to fit their own personal goals, rather than align their goals to the relationship.

Wannabe a Cowboy > This can actually be broken down two ways. The ones who “wannabe” so bad that they make it happen, and then the ones who think it would be fun to be a part of that circle, but are not willing to make the sacrifice. They are content to put on the garb and look the part-- and maybe even fool a girl or two, as well as themselves. Often the latter category will grow up and move on, but some never do. Some actually work on ranches and make pretty fair hands. But they got no heart. They're in it for the glory. 

It's been fun over the years, to watch some wannabe's become the genuine article. The gal from a wealthy family in Connecticut, the working class young man from Pennsylvania. The black kid from Alabama (with top level political connections) who stole his grandfather's old pickup at age 15, and headed west. Farmers from Wisconsin and Kansas, a couple young high school dropouts from Montana, and this dairy farmer from up north (but south of the border). 

Clayton and Colt, one of the kid's favorite cowboys.

“Real Cowboys”, regardless of their occupation, have a heart for others. Their own success comes from helping others be successful.

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Phil 2:4

No comments: