Stock Photos of Western Ranch Cowboys

Stock Photos of Western Ranch Cowboys
www.saddlescenes.com - click photo for website

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Cameras & Cowpoop


I have thoroughly enjoyed my new photographic freedom this past year. We've seen an amazing amount of Montana from the back of a horse that I never knew existed. And it's all been just as gorgeous as our old stomping grounds.

It's also been fun just being "help". It's a lot more relaxing when all you have to worry about is the job at hand.

We had the opportunity to do something we've never experienced before. We helped with an 1100-head traildrive for a grazing association. We've been thousands of miles with herds ranging from 200 to 1300 head. Most of those herds were cow/calf pairs with bulls on them. Many were yearlings, or bulls, or drys, but never all of the above mixed together. And those herd all wore one brand. This herd had four.

A grazing association is a group of ranchers that lease ground in the association's name and run their herds together during the summer months. It's a good way for smaller ranches to get the summer grazing they need. They hire a rider to tend the stock and fences on a day to day basis, but when it's time to move cattle, every ranch is represented, so they have an instant crew.

We left the barn at 4:30 a.m., and were the second trailer to arrive. As we bridled up and rode off, three more rigs showed up.

I was excited. 1100 cattle strung out as far as you can see, is an awesome sight. Especially when combined with Montana's scenery. It was still too dark to get good photos as we made our gather, but I took a few early shots anyway.
Ed gathering backend

As it warmed up, I saw a great set-up coming. It was a rocky outcrop with a creek and draw on the offside. The sun was just getting to that "first light" stage. Looking back, the riders in the dust on the drag were softly backlit. I knew I only had seconds. I bailed off maresy since I didn't want to risk movement. I had just pulled my camera out of it's pouch and still had the neckstrap in my hand. I was on the downhill side and caught my spur in some brush, so I ended up on my backside.

I didn't care about that. My camera had slipped from my hand--and planted itself face first in a fresh green cowpie! I gingerly fished it out. I already knew. No more photos. And I'd missed such a perfect one.
The front of my camera had a thick, oozing layer of...SH**!!!!!!! (Cut me some slack. It is what it is!)

Sagebrush helped to get the top layer off, then Ray dug a blue paper shop towel out of his jacket pocket. I had to restrain myself. Just get the worst off, put it in that leftover sandwich bag, and stick it back in the pouch with my water and granola bars to let it dry.

I bet Canon's never had that issue before. I put off trying to clean it not knowing quite how to go about it. But I went to work on it this morning. My best tool was a paper wire twist tie. I also used a vaccuum, a twist-out lens brush--not twisted out--to scrub after spraying a little LCD cleaner on, a lens cloth, and finally, canned air. At first the lens cover would only open part way unless I used my fingers. But a little more work, and one last little crumb of dried cowpoop popped out, and it now works as good as new.

Guess we'll just have to make the drive again. I missed some really great shots.

I'm just thankful I didn't have to get it professionally cleaned. I ruined the electronics on my first SLR taking the "Spring Blizzard" photo. I had it repaired, but it was never the same. The only good thing is, "Spring Blizzard" bought me a new camera!
Last photo I got before dropping camera - Ray & Chad

Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool... 
IS 66:1

No comments: